Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old wives tales!!!!!!!!
Actually the breastfeeding as a contraceptive is not entirely untrue but there is a caviat(sp?) that the baby must be exclusively breastfed and must have more than 6 feeds per 24 hours. As your experiences tell it is not the most reliable contraceptive though Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Icecub
also not so much a wives tale but true......wear matching or clean undies-should u be in a car accident at least your underwear is not in a sorry state...:haha:

In saying this I must admit to telling my children this one. I was also brought up with it. :haha:
I was also told that after having my baby I should take a large coin and put it over my navel and bound my stomach so that my navel would not bulge. :confused: Not that I ever had a bulging navel whilst pregnant or even after childbirth.
Quote:Originally posted by Jillibeans
I was also told that after having my baby I should take a large coin and put it over my navel and bound my stomach so that my navel would not bulge. :confused: Not that I ever had a bulging navel whilst pregnant or even after childbirth.

That's supposed to help with hernias in the bellybutton! Both my girls had them, one was worse. My mother-in-law said I should do that, but I thought it too weird, and their little belly buttons were fine Big Grin
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
I was told that in order to get rid of a wart I was to rub some meat on it and then bury that piece of meat in a place that I walk over every day, eg the path outside our front door.

I've since read that warts eventually do fall off anyway.
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
I was told that in order to get rid of a wart I was to rub some meat on it and then bury that piece of meat in a place that I walk over every day, eg the path outside our front door.

I've since read that warts eventually do fall off anyway.

We were told to tie a piece of thread around the wart, blow it to the moon and then bury it. Guess what? It worked everytime....... when it was ready to fall off! Smile
Quote:Originally posted by sue w
Piglets thread just reminded me of all the old wives tales we were told as kids or those that the old people (and some of us Wink )

touch a frog and you'll get warts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a full moon affects woman Rolleyes

any more????

Well my mom always said that about the frogs. As a child I loved playing with tadpoles and frogs . And harded my ears to my mom pleas until a developed this massive wart right in front of one of my nostrils. Today I have a massive fear of frogs.

The full moon does effect people not only women. Those who suffer from psychiatric illness seem to have their symptoms exacerbated when it is full moon. The word lunatic incidently is derived from the being controlled by tghe lunar body .
Quote:Originally posted by Piglet
Well my mom always said that about the frogs. As a child I loved playing with tadpoles and frogs . And harded my ears to my mom pleas until a developed this massive wart right in front of one of my nostrils. Today I have a massive fear of frogs.

The full moon does effect people not only women. Those who suffer from psychiatric illness seem to have their symptoms exacerbated when it is full moon. The word lunatic incidently is derived from the being controlled by tghe lunar body .

Piglet is this because of the water in our bodies???? Considering the effects that the moon has on water/tides..... :eek:
Quote:Originally posted by sue w
Piglet is this because of the water in our bodies???? Considering the effects that the moon has on water/tides..... :eek:

there is an theory that suggests that. There is also many other theories. One of which is seen in link below. Something about positive and negative ions.

http://www.policeops.com/full-moon-ion-effect.htm

The truth is although professionals in different feilds like police, casualty workers and pyshiactric workers believe there is a link based on what they have observed . There is to date no conclusive evidences to support the correlations.
And the famous one for the boys playing with you know what, and going blind.

If that were true there would be an awful lot more of sightless people out thereBlush Rolleyes
[color0blue]Dit was lekker by die see... Die Bodensee ( Lake Constance )[/color]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  inherited parenting practices & old wives tales Piglet 21 12,151 21-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Last Post: Piglet