Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newborns
If she does not want a dummy, do not force her! MY girls were offered dummies, but they also refused them. They have their merits, but can be a nightmare to wean your baby off. Besides, who needs another thing that you will hae to wean you kids off??

If she sucks your pinky, she might just be looking for a bit of comfort. My girls did it for the first few weeks or so, and then they just stopped.
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
It has already been mentioned, but... Wind. Wind. wind - it'll be at least 3 months before they become strong enough to burp by themselves. If they scream just after a feed - you can guarantee it is wind.

And suffering from it occasionally as an adult, believe me, it hurts! A pick up and a little winding will do wonders for the baby.

One of the tricks I used with my kids to determine if it is still wind causing the problem, is to hold them horizontally in my arms - if they scream - it's wind, if they fall asleep, they are just after the attention. Doctors recommend that a baby be at least 1 month old before you can leave them to scream for any length of time (longer than about 5 minutes or so), and even then, 20-30 minutes at a stretch is the maximum - if they are still screaming after that - there is something definitely bugging them.
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
Squeaky, your plight sounds so familiar... she is only 2 weeks old; not so long since she was in that warm, safe, secure environment in the womb, and she probably misses it. Give her the cuddles when you can. She'll thrive on it.

Hi Squeaky! I agree with dudette on this one. At 2 weeks old, she feels insecure being away from that warmth & comfort of mom. Perhaps you could invest in a sling that she can lie in while you & your wife go about your normal business? I'm a strong believer in the "kangaroo" method. Babies thrive on cuddles & lots of love.

Wind is a constant problem with newborns too. My son suffered terribly with colic for about the first 3 months. He'd scream solidly from 5pm to 9pm every night. It was a nightmare! Gripe water & Infacol became my best buddies (these can only be given from 1 month old!). I strongly recommend that you have a bottle of each in your home, as well as Calpol. Wink
>>~V~ę~ñ~ů~Ş~<<
With regard to the wind, I found the following method worked every time for me. I sat her on my knee and jiggled her sideways, listening to her tummy. If I could hear that "glug-glug" sound you get when you shake a bottle about, there was air in her tummy, and guaranteed, if I worked hard enough, she'd give me a burp eventually.
Just take care with her neck.
Wish I'd thought of it with my first two! :\
Squeaks - things will get better, I promise you!

If your daughter has been fed, winded, and has a clean nappy on, then the crying is attention seeking.....don't make a big mistake by picking her up all the time, she will get used to that, and will only fall asleep if she is held, and will scream blue murder when she is put back in her cot.

Crying is good, it excercises their lungs!

Just make sure she is winded properly....do you get Gripe Water there?
Quote:Originally posted by Ash

If your daughter has been fed, winded, and has a clean nappy on, then the crying is attention seeking.....don't make a big mistake by picking her up all the time, she will get used to that, and will only fall asleep if she is held, and will scream blue murder when she is put back in her cot.

Yeah, but the kid is still only two weeks old - if she was 6 months, then the attention seeking could be a problem, but at two weeks, she is still a fragile little being that needs as much attention as you can give her without losing too much sleep. Smile

Although crying is good for the lungs, don't let them get too exhausted whil still so young.
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
Yeah, but the kid is still only two weeks old - if she was 6 months, then the attention seeking could be a problem, but at two weeks, she is still a fragile little being that needs as much attention as you can give her without losing too much sleep. Smile

Although crying is good for the lungs, don't let them get too exhausted whil still so young.

Best get into a routine now, and not later....otherwise it will be regretted Smile

I'm not saying to always leave her crying - far from it - but as I said above, establish a routine now....
Quote:Originally posted by Ash
Best get into a routine now, and not later....otherwise it will be regretted Smile

I'm not saying to always leave her crying - far from it - but as I said above, establish a routine now....

A routine is good, but I can't help feeling that we need to stress the fragility of a two week old - I mean, he is going to have up to 2 years or more of sleepness nights, what with teething, boundary pushing, teething, illnesses, teething, toilet training, teething, nightmares, etc (oh, did I mention teething? Big Grin )
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
A routine is good, but I can't help feeling that we need to stress the fragility of a two week old - I mean, he is going to have up to 2 years or more of sleepness nights, what with teething, boundary pushing, teething, illnesses, teething, toilet training, teething, nightmares, etc (oh, did I mention teething? Big Grin )

Mgv - you forgot to mention one thing.....

Teething! Wink
Mmmmm, I have been restraining myself from replying to this topic because newborns aren't my favourite member of our species (hehehehe even though I have had 2 of my own).

At two weeks a baby isn't going to want a routine yet. All it knows and wants, is to sleep, poop, be fed and get lots of unconditional love. Establish the routine thing at 2 months, there is plenty of time......... 2 weeks is too young.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eye Infections In Newborns Bean of Love 7 5,337 09-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Ameniatha