Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newborns
wow, thanx for all the advice. let me try and reply to a few of u.
ash, we do have gripe water here. dont give it to her often coz both myself and my wife have never liked medicine, only as a last resort. bub's was scream this morning, got some gripe water down her throat mid scream and instant quiet.she also had a very surprised look on her face. very funny

we do wrap her up, but this gets very uncomfortable for her. we are in the middle of a heat wave in nz. and she somehow finds a way to get rid of the blanket. she enjoys kicking.

she's been burping like a trooper recently. it happens almost as soon as she is sat upright.

i sucked my thumb till i was 7. she looks alot like me so she might have my addictive nature. but she doesnt want the dummies.

i've noticed routine doesnt mean anything to her. some nights she'll feed twice and sleep the rest of the time. last nite she was up for 4 hours, just looking around. sometimes she doesnt like lying down and just wants to sit up and check the curtains out for about half an hour.

we're getting a sling soon, hope that helps.

my wife gave birth at a birthing center. some ppl will call them hippyish, well i do. they were great. mel gave birth in a pool without any drugs. it was almost harder for me to see her in that pain but when bub's popped out she went straight to the breast and mom was fine.

back to thebirthing center. they should us most of the things we needed to know, like wrapping the baby up and all that stuff. i have yet to change a nappie. i do all the cooking and cleaning, so it's only fair, isnt it?
i have yet to change a nappie. i do all the cooking and cleaning, so it's only fair, isnt it? [/B][/QUOTE]

For now Big Grin You really need to do it at least once - it will be great for your wife, and it gives you one-on-one time with your baby!!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Squaeky, you and mrs are doing a wonderful job, just relax and role with the punches. Like someone said before if you're anxious she'll pick up on it. If she really doesn't want to sleep some nights, resign yourself to the fact, get blanket and pillow, make cup of coffee and switch tv on. My hubby watch many "early morning" tv programmes. And you can still squeeze 40 winks in somewhere. My hubby actually made that time his quality time with baby.

And oi, get changing those nappies boet, what you going to do when wife goes out and you're with the baby. It has to be done.Sad
Quote:Originally posted by sue w
And oi, get changing those nappies boet, what you going to do when wife goes out and you're with the baby. It has to be done.Sad [/B]

honestly, i have no idea what i'd do. me and beth have our one on one time in the mornings when she doesnt sleep.
Squeaks - she sounds so adorable! I'm looking foward to getting more pics Smile
More pics? I haven't seen any!!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
give me a second
Quote:Originally posted by squeaky
wow, thanx for all the advice. let me try and reply to a few of u.
ash, we do have gripe water here. dont give it to her often coz both myself and my wife have never liked medicine, only as a last resort. bub's was scream this morning, got some gripe water down her throat mid scream and instant quiet.she also had a very surprised look on her face. very funny

Squeaks, be very careful with gripe water, as it contains sodium bicarbonate - too much sodium (as in salt, etc) is poisonous in babies, as they don't pee enough to be able to get rid of it - so it builds up in the body until it gets to a fatal level. That is why they don't want you to use gripe water for the first three months, and even then only in very small doses. In the UK there is a product called infacol which can be given from birth - it isn't as effective as gripe water, but it is a lot safer. Once they get to three months, then the gripe water tends to get used more.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288230265
password is beth

u need to go to imagestaion.com and register then search for an albumn called baby bethany.
Another point is that a baby needs at least 3 hours to digest a feed. If you feed them again during this period, it can cause colic and wind. So it is important after about one month to slowly lengthen the time between feeds so as to be between 3 and 4 hours apart - this will reduce the wind problem dramatically, and get rid of the snack-feeding syndrome some babies develop.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eye Infections In Newborns Bean of Love 7 5,335 09-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Ameniatha