Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
newborns
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv
Yeah, but the kid is still only two weeks old - if she was 6 months, then the attention seeking could be a problem, but at two weeks, she is still a fragile little being that needs as much attention as you can give her without losing too much sleep. Smile

Although crying is good for the lungs, don't let them get too exhausted whil still so young.

I agree with you - she is far too young to be seeking attention - she just wants some love. Just make sure it does not become a habit, because by the time she is about 3 months, she will know how to make sure she gets picked up when she wants to!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
I agree with you - she is far too young to be seeking attention - she just wants some love. Just make sure it does not become a habit, because by the time she is about 3 months, she will know how to make sure she gets picked up when she wants to!

That's what I'm trying to say.... Smile
Squeaky I had another thought while thinking about your thread -do you swaddle your baby when you put her down. many midwives are against swaddling because of the potential for overheating but many babies enjoy being swaddled. Some classical music playing softly in the background may also stop her from suddenly realising that she is all alone. As your baby gets older try and put her into her cot while she is still awake as babies get confused that they were all nice and warm and being held and now they are magically in a bed alone. Enjoy your baby the sleepless nights do pass Smile
Swaddling is excellent, as their natural reflex when they wake up is to wave the arms about, and it can make them feel very insecure - so swaddling is great - my girls were swaddled, as they were prem, and I really felt it helped Big Grin
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
Poor Squeaky....shall we all come over to help you. I agree with Dudette that they do need lots of physical touches when they are so little.... and will need it for quite a number of years. Babies are very sensitive beings, and if the parents are uncomfortable, nervous and tense, it makes them feel just the same.

Sterkte Pa.... and I am sure you will be okay.
I don't know what swaddling is but I used to wrap all my babies up nice and snug in receiving blanket....arms in. I think it makes them feel secure, is that the same thing?

Well I don't believe in letting babies cry it out. Never left any of my 3 to cry for any length of time and they were fine. Babies need physical contact to thrive, especially skin to skin. I was encouraged by the hospital to do Kangaroo Care with my prem as studies show that they gain weight quicker and are much more content. Squeaky do what works for you when she's older but please don't leave a 2week old to cry for any length of time. It could cause more wind and shame she's still so tiny.

Lastly, remember that it is very distressing for a mother to hear her baby crying. It is mostly a hormonal thing. Don't forget that she has only just given birth. Its her mothering instincts.

But well done and good luck to both of you, sounds like you're doing a marvelous job. Let us know how things progress with li'l oneBig Grin Wink
That's wonderful advice, Sue.

Yes, by the way, wrapping them nice and snugly is swaddling Big Grin
--Mahatma Gandhi
Quote:Originally posted by Pam M
That's wonderful advice, Sue.

Yes, by the way, wrapping them nice and snugly is swaddling Big Grin

Why thank you PamWink

Two interesting studies.
Studies show that babies that slept on flanel sheets put on weight quicker than babies that slept on cotton sheets. The babies that slept on cotton sheets rubbed against the cotton alot trying to get the comfort from them.

When a mother kangaroos her baby her body temprature adjusts itself to whatever temprature is beneficial for the baby.
Interestingly enough this does not happen when dads kangaroo.Sad
Thank you, sue; I didn't know that Smile
Quote:Originally posted by dudette
Squeaky, your plight sounds so familiar... she is only 2 weeks old; not so long since she was in that warm, safe, secure environment in the womb, and she probably misses it. Give her the cuddles when you can. She'll thrive on it.

Squeaky this is an important point. Your little button up until two weeks ago was all snug and warm in the womb. All her nutrients where nicely dilivered via the umbilical cord. Now the rules have changed it is a whole different world out there. She needs to drink ( which can be hard work) . She needs to breath for herself. There is alot of different noises that sound different now without it being filtered through the amiotic fluid that surrounded her for nine months. The comforting sound of the constant heartbeat is no longer there. In short it is a whole new world and she is trying in her own little way to get to know it.
Crying is the only form of communication she has. It either means she is hungry , uncomfortable or in pain. Sometimes it just means that she is finding things overwhelming and needs some comforting reassurance. As a parent we don't instintively know what the baby wants or needs. It is often just a case of deduction. i.e change nappy feed , wind & cuddle.
As for routine while routine is important it is a case of always working towards a routine . It causes far more stress for you and the baby if a preconceived routine is inforced. Babies don't come with manuals for a very good reason. They are all different . This is the time to get to know your baby and your little bundle to get to know you. It is a precious time although very exhausting for both.
Best of luck and remember take everything in stide. But above all enjoy this get 'to know period' it comes around only once. Pretty soon they will start mastering the world around them and slowly but surely be less and less dependant on you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eye Infections In Newborns Bean of Love 7 5,392 09-05-2005, 06:58 PM
Last Post: Ameniatha