Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atkins diet
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
Where's the contradiction?

You first say that weight loss reduces cholesterol, and then that you did not have a weight problem but had a cholesterol problem. To state that any diet will reduce cholesterol is untrue. A low carb diet may not reduce cholesterol.
Dieting in any form is bad as it denies the body of vital substances. What is needed is a balanced diet in the right quantities with sufficient exercise. Atkins is not a diet...it utilises a high protein low carb diet as a springboard to kick start the metabolism. After 2 weeks the carbs are reintroduced. With Atkins once past the initial phase your weight drops slowly but consistently, it does no induce the suger highs and lows which cause problems with many diets. It may not work for some and work for others.
Meat in moderation will not raise your cholesterol levels, eaten properly cooked with the right foods you will be fine. Stay away from processed food....
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Quote:Originally posted by spam
You first say that weight loss reduces cholesterol, and then that you did not have a weight problem but had a cholesterol problem. To state that any diet will reduce cholesterol is untrue. A low carb diet may not reduce cholesterol.
Dieting in any form is bad as it denies the body of vital substances. What is needed is a balanced diet in the right quantities with sufficient exercise. Atkins is not a diet...it utilises a high protein low carb diet as a springboard to kick start the metabolism. After 2 weeks the carbs are reintroduced. With Atkins once past the initial phase your weight drops slowly but consistently, it does no induce the suger highs and lows which cause problems with many diets. It may not work for some and work for others.
Meat in moderation will not raise your cholesterol levels, eaten properly cooked with the right foods you will be fine. Stay away from processed food....

First off, let me state that I believe the key to long-term weight control is reducing calorie intake and increased physical activity.

I did not claim any diet will reduce cholesterol. Rather, I did state that weight loss lowers cholesterol. Even small amounts of weight loss enhance LDL cholesterol reduction. Studies have proved this. One study followed people for a year. The patients chose their own diets and those who lost weight were then divided into 3 groups: those who lost 2.5% - 6.9%, those who lost 7% - 14% and those who lost more than 14% of their body weight. They all had improvements in triglyceride levels, and HDL cholesterol levels.

Secondly, I made a statement that I had high cholesterol. I did not have a weight problem so I was not on a diet to lose weight. I managed to bring my cholesterol levels down by cutting down on meat consumption.
Maybe I'm missing something here but I still don't see the contradiction you're accusing me of.
Quote:Originally posted by Mgv

this makes far more sense to me, as I have seen it following a different sort of diet - you don't just eat or dirnk things now - now you actually think about it and selectively chose what you consume - all the things thus consumed have less over processed rubbish in them, and consequently lower calories. [/B]

I agree with you here Mgv. A year ago I read an article about wheat intolerance and recognised a lot of the symptoms. So for three months I completely cut out wheat, going so far as to check the ingredients in chocolate bars. The result was that the stomach aches have stopped and I've lost over 10 kgs. I now eat bread and pasta occasionally but eat smaller portions and think about what I eat.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atkins Diet whirlpool 42 18,379 18-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Joan
  The Metabolic Typing Diet Bushbaby 0 3,322 19-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby
  Atkins was Obese Toktokkie 27 13,598 12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Last Post: spam
  Atkins Diet Ronnie 0 3,688 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: