Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books....
Hi there :bookclub:

It is me again, sorry I have not really been around much in the book club,(I personally had a rough start to 2007 for 6 months). Things are all back to normal and I even started a new job ! Ha, ha I will give you 2 guess's where -

A LIBRARY! What a perfect place for me to end up, with my love of books and working with people. I have too much time to browse (whilst I shelve) and alas I do not know why but they won’t let me read in the library. :p

Well now that the winter months are upon us, I am sure quite a few folks might put up their feet and get cozy and read.

To start off - what is everyone reading at the moment.....
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
I am about to start an autobiography - called Red Carpets and other banana skins by Rupert Everett. He was interviewed on TV and he spoke about his book and I am looking forward to reading it because a few reviews have said it is funny and very honest.

Some good books I've read in the last few weeks.

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (a good historical novel based in France, along the lines of the Da Vinci Code, although a bit long as it is a tomb of a book- I did enjoy it). Thanks Pam :thumbs:

Killing me softly by Nicci French (a good page turning suspense novel)

Digging to America by Anne Tyler (a family story about different cultures and living in America - highly recommended!!)
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
I know this is really boring (that I not reading something contemporary or unusual) but I am reading Rage by Wilbur Smith (again), this time going through the trilogy Burning Shore, Power of the Shore and Rage in sequence this time. This guy is a great writer.
Great news re the job Nikkinaz

:newjob:

Pronkertjie set me on my way reading John Grisham, the last one I read was The Innocent Man .. it was pretty shocking to read a story based on fact where a man was sent to death row and the corrupt and inadequate system that sent him there. It did provide me with doubts about the death sentence in the American system and now I understand where money buys you freedom and how often people who are of no value to the system can simply be executed even when innocent

After the Grisham book I read my first Henning Mankell book which is based in the area we live, Ystad and surrounds, so it makes for interesting reading when you recognise all the places he describes. Sidetracked was the first one I read and now the wifey got me Faceless Killers

she had also taken out from the library, The Best British Mysteries which I am ambling through not truly enjoying the style of the writers, plus A Star Called Henry by Roddy Doyle where I have enjoyed the start of it and then the book The Wrong Doyle by Robert Girardi which I haven't opened yet

Wifey has taken to reading books and I should ask her to start listing her reads

:thx:
nikkinaz Wrote:I am about to start an autobiography - called Red Carpets and other banana skins by Rupert Everett. He was interviewed on TV and he spoke about his book and I am looking forward to reading it because a few reviews have said it is funny and very honest.

Some good books I've read in the last few weeks.

Labyrinth by Kate Mosse (a good historical novel based in France, along the lines of the Da Vinci Code, although a bit long as it is a tomb of a book- I did enjoy it). Thanks Pam :thumbs:

Killing me softly by Nicci French (a good page turning suspense novel)

Digging to America by Anne Tyler (a family story about different cultures and living in America - highly recommended!!)

I've heard of Rupert Everett's autobiography, and was intrigued, but seeing as I'm really not fan of autobiographies, it will be a while before I have a look at it methinks.
Which is also why it took me so long to read Barbara Kingsolver's book "The Poisonwood Bible". But when I finally realised it was a work of fiction, gave it a go. I am afraid to say it didn't wow me as so it has so many others.... I think that its because most of the exciting pace of the book was only in the first half, and the second half, while interesting, didn't have the same momentum.

I read Labyrinth a few months ago, and really enjoyed it. Its one of those that, while the action jumps back and forward a few centuries, doesn't give away the ending until the end, if you know what I mean. A really good read!

So here I am at another dead end in terms of my reading life... I think I'm ready for a cracking non-fiction... I wonder what I'll find....
:mmm:
I am currently reading "One for my baby" by Tony Parsons......... after reading his first book , I find this one even better.

Bought the new Grisham book today ( pity the duck gave so much away, but I will still read it...)

After the bookclub sort of died on this site, all the books I had available are now in the posession of the National Trust, they have a book sale once a year ... early November and we missed it once again.

Happy reading to all of you
Joan Wrote:Bought the new Grisham book today ( pity the duck gave so much away, but I will still read it...)

Joan, you better not read the cover of the book then, as I thinks they may give away more of the story than I mentioned

Wink

happy reading
Dudette, I recently read The Poison Wood Bible by B. Kingsolver. I fully agree with your view of the book and its 'momentum'. Although I quite enjoyed it (reading about this Baptist priest taking his family and mission to the Belgian Congo in 1959) - I found the last third of the book was slow and slightly even .. hmm .. boring.

One could not call me a bookworm, however, I have read a good few books of late. Most John Grisham's, some of Ken Follet's, Harry Potters to mention a few. But, one of the books I would like to mention is A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. The book is set in India in the mid 1970's and tells a story of how four unlikely characters come together soon after the government declares a 'State of Internal Emergency' ... and the 'beautification of cities'. It was a touching story and got me thinking of the unfairness of life and how helpless one can be under a ruthless government. Well worth the read.

I most enjoy books that transform my understanding of life and what happens around me. However, the book needs to catch me from the beginning. A good book is something you struggle to put down and look forward to getting back to Wink

Likewise, happy reading to all!
TheDuck Wrote:Joan, you better not read the cover of the book then, as I thinks they may give away more of the story than I mentioned

Wink

happy reading

Wink I will be good and ignore the cover...

was just kidding you!

:p :p
Hi Joan, the Book Swap Club will be returning however under a different format and one which only needs registration with the forums and not a new registration for the Book Club

Thank you

Admin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do you buy or borrow your Books from ? nikkinaz 11 6,962 19-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Jangar
  What kind of books do you like reading ? nikkinaz 5 4,608 26-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Pampered
  All of Jodi Picoults Books... nikkinaz 3 4,352 14-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Surita
  Children's books lols 0 3,090 15-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Last Post: lols
  New load of books.... Icecub 3 4,279 02-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Icecub
  Books into movies! nikkinaz 13 7,114 08-06-2004, 05:58 AM
Last Post: dudette
  Childrens books dudette 5 4,205 07-06-2004, 06:43 AM
Last Post: Jillibeans
  Afrikaans books Surita 3 3,958 02-06-2004, 12:29 PM