Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Countries,cultures, people and Books
Are there any countries, cultures which draw you to certain author or book ?

Just as an example I like a story which bring the characteristics of small town America. See Milk Glass Moon, Big Cherry Hollar and Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani !

Lately since immigrating I also enjoy books about my heritage and South Africa (although not as many books are available).

I do like books which to describe new cultures and people to lands I have never been too.
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
Most books I read are based in the UK and Continental Europe. Some few have an American location but this remains the exception to the rule.
Hi BB - I suppose it is more the style of book like thriller / romance which draws folks. I would have thought that if people were interested in a different culture maybe that would draw folks to that particular book, but I guess it is more the subject type.

As I said I like small town America (don't get me wrong, I don't read just anything...I look around and sometimes find some real good books) and if a particular story takes place there I might read the blurb a little more carefully to see if the story appeals. Sometimes the cover tells a lot where it takes place, and there are times you really have to guess and look further.... But then again that is a whole different subject - The covers of books.

I used to spend a few hours in Exclusive bookshop in Eastgate looking at books and also at the people who buy various books. And sometimes I would have a glance, see what they are buying, and would go and have a look at the book. I am NOT WEIRD !!! Oh goodness - my character is coming out here, book nerd deluxe !
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
I am very intrigued by Easten and Middle Eastern cultures, it has always been my dream to live on the dunes and in tents and to see how they live....although not possible today...Sad

I have a fascination with the women who have managed to get out of their suffocating culture and bring us their stories such as "Once I was a princess" by Jacqueline Pascarl-Gillespie...absolutely fascinating book...although this took place in Malaysia...I have read several books on the women who were imprisoned in Iran, living behind the Burqa, and basically a non-entity in their country.

I suppose being a woman i can relate to them - although not the lifestyle but looked on as the minority although not in the Western world..Smile
I was given two books that were part of a series by my mom - they are fantasy but based in a middle eastern type world/society - it is also written in a very Oriental style - lots of flowery prose, drawing on their value systems and customs and in absolutely no hurry to get to the point.

I will scribble down the name of the author and series and post it up here - the books were written a very long time ago (70's or 80's) and take a bit of work to get into but are fascinating once you get going.
The series was known as 'Rose of the Prophet' and was written by Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman - published in 1989 I think it predates ISBN.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
The series was known as 'Rose of the Prophet' and was written by Margaret Weiss & Tracy Hickman - published in 1989 I think it predates ISBN.

ta Bushbaby..will have a look out for this one...:thumbs:

your turn for June's suggestion of a book!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where do you buy or borrow your Books from ? nikkinaz 11 6,786 19-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Last Post: Jangar
  What kind of books do you like reading ? nikkinaz 5 4,506 26-07-2006, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Pampered
  All of Jodi Picoults Books... nikkinaz 3 4,273 14-10-2005, 07:22 PM
Last Post: Surita
  Children's books lols 0 3,032 15-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Last Post: lols
  5 People you meet in Heaven Surita 3 3,731 30-09-2004, 02:55 PM
Last Post: jewels
  New load of books.... Icecub 3 4,220 02-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Icecub
  Books into movies! nikkinaz 13 6,966 08-06-2004, 05:58 AM
Last Post: dudette
  Childrens books dudette 5 4,113 07-06-2004, 06:43 AM