Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My puppy's hurt
Glad to hear she is doing okay after the surgery.
Lexi had her cast removed this morning and the doctor wanted it left open. A dog has healing properties in their saliva and there was one little red spot that he wanted her to lick.
She's licked the wound clean and even started working on the stitches. I've had to bandage her leg to stop her and she's not happy about that at all.

The leg has been shaved and is the size of the top part of a chicken wing. She has lovely curly apricot hair that hides her size and makes her look a lot bigger than she is. She's such a cutie.
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie
Lexi had her cast removed this morning and the doctor wanted it left open. A dog has healing properties in their saliva and there was one little red spot that he wanted her to lick.
She's licked the wound clean and even started working on the stitches. I've had to bandage her leg to stop her and she's not happy about that at all.

The leg has been shaved and is the size of the top part of a chicken wing. She has lovely curly apricot hair that hides her size and makes her look a lot bigger than she is. She's such a cutie.

sound like she is on the mend and am glad to hear about that.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger Big Grin
Quote:Originally posted by Toktokkie

Hi Tok,

She sounds too cute Smile .... I had a black Toy Poodle in SA ... slightly bigger than yours, but VERY dainty .... they are lovely little dogs. Glad the surgery is over and Lexi is healing well .... I was wondering if they could not spay her at the same time they do the other leg op? Because there is always a bit of risk with the anesthetic and three is a lot for her to have in a short space of time .... on the other hand does your vet feel she is too tiny to have two ops at the same time? I think the spay op is fairly quick ..... I agree with you ..... she is too tiny to breed with and not worth the risk of losing her during the birth ..... especially seeing as she is your pet Wink
Quote:Originally posted by sunny
Hi Tok,

She sounds too cute Smile .... I had a black Toy Poodle in SA ... slightly bigger than yours, but VERY dainty .... they are lovely little dogs. Glad the surgery is over and Lexi is healing well .... I was wondering if they could not spay her at the same time they do the other leg op? Because there is always a bit of risk with the anesthetic and three is a lot for her to have in a short space of time .... on the other hand does your vet feel she is too tiny to have two ops at the same time? I think the spay op is fairly quick ..... I agree with you ..... she is too tiny to breed with and not worth the risk of losing her during the birth ..... especially seeing as she is your pet Wink

They sure are lovely dogs. Like yours, my first poodle was also black. Our family always had terriers and I never entertained the thought of getting a poodle but I was introduced the them in SA and was so impressed with the fact that they don't shed hair and are virtually odorless, and that they're one of the few breeds that are hypo-allergenic that I've been totally sold on this breed and have had four to date. Smile To top that, they're the most intelligent of all house dogs which makes housetraining so much easier.

I certainly am going to see if both surgeries can be done at the same time. The vet wouldn't even consider it with the first surgery because she was already in heat and hormonal changes were already in full swing.
She took longer than I thought to get over the surgery. The leg healed beautifully and she used it pretty quickly but the anesthetic definitely took it's toll on her little body. It is hard on the liver and she went off her food. I struggled to get her to eat and she lost quite a bit of weight.

Because of that I am very nervous about the next surgery and have decided to wait a few months until I feel she's completely recovered from the first op.

I was offered the perfect male to breed with her. He is so adorable and their babies would be gorgeous. You can check him out here:

http://www.teacuppoodles.com/vtk/Teacupp...-407.shtml

Lexi is the most precious dog. Her personality is exactly what we like in a dog. She's very affectionate and friendly with everyone, she's sweet and gentle natured and would make a good mother but I love her way too much to put her at risk in any way.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Persistant Right Aortic Arch - Labrador puppy - advice and tips please Cheffie 29 12,996 13-09-2006, 12:26 AM
Last Post: Cheffie
  Our puppy... 0 4,864 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: