South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: What travelling have u guys done??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Icecub Wrote:There are lots of places and things i still want to do.. but obviously having a child in a wheelchair restricts us abit, but we work around it and choose destinations that he will also enjoy.

For eg..i wanted to do the Mayan ruins in Costa Maya but because he could not participate we left that and spent the day on the beach....give and take....Smile

With this trip coming up, he and hubby will have to stay onboard the cruise liner while i go and climb a glacier.....Smile

Something i want to do as well but will have to organise maybe a girlie weekend etc...is go skiing......as hubby and son cannot do that sort of thing....

Maybe we can organise something like that here hey???
Hi Icecub
Where're you from?
I was going to invite SAffers interested in visiting Norway to come and visit me and be taken for a week into the mountains for skiing. Beautiful scenery and our cabin is situated in most popular slalom area in the country.
Not many have chosen Scandinavia, I see.

Icecub

emma Wrote:Hi Icecub
Where're you from?
I was going to invite SAffers interested in visiting Norway to come and visit me and be taken for a week into the mountains for skiing. Beautiful scenery and our cabin is situated in most popular slalom area in the country.
Not many have chosen Scandinavia, I see.

Hi Emma..

Currently living on the Isle of Man...

I would love to go skiing, maybe we should make a plan hey?

One place which i want to visit is Scandinavia...the place fascinates me to no end.... :worthy: :worthy:
In Africa : most of RSA , visited Namibia , Zimbabwe , Mauritius , Lesotho , Botswana , Swaziland ...;
In Europe : U.K. , Channel Islands , Isle of Man , Ireland , Germany , Belgium , Holland , Luxembourg , Switzerland , France , Italy , Spain , Cyprus , Malta , Slovenia , Croatia , Serbia , Bosnia-Herzegovina , Liechtenstein , Monaco , Andorra , Denmark , Czech Republic , Hungary...;
In Asia : ex-USSR , Hong Kong , bits of China , Emirates , Saudi Arabia , Bahrein , Qatar , Oman , Lebanon , Israel , Kazahstan , Sri Lanka , Maldives , Singapore , Malaysia...;
in Americas : Canada , U.S.A.
...but now , as one gets older , wasting time at airports is quickly becoming less than a pleasure - so , if one restricts one's travel to Europe , cruising by car or lording it aboard those splendid 320km/h TGV trains are the preferred options.
Wow! You're all very well travelled!! I envy you the places some of you have been!!!!
...to you and/or yours - even from Milton Keynes!
( SeaFrance has a special , 19Sterling return , currently , for car and up to 5 people )
Bon Voyage , hoor ,
R.
SA, Lesotho, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Transkei, Ciskei, Zanzibar, Maldives, Mauritius, Egypt, Ireland, Wales, Scotland, UK, Netherlands, Germany, France, Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Cyprus, Portugal, Spain, Luxembourg, Monaco, Turkey, Dubai, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Australia, Mexico, USA, Canada

Sadly most of my non-African travels were business related thus I did not see more than airports, offices, taxis and hotel rooms.

Worst taxi drivers - Paris
Worst airport - Maputo

Best food - Austria
Best beaches - Mozambique
Best people - South Africa
...on all the ( few ) experiencies I had , they were : a Bliss and Les Saviours !
(have U tried charming them in yr bestest french , yet?)
Ray Wrote:...on all the ( few ) experiencies I had , they were : a Bliss and Les Saviours !
(have U tried charming them in yr bestest french , yet?)

We may simply have differemt experiences, but I found it hard to get a word in when they swear and wave hands furiously at other drivers.Big Grin I kept smiling to my driver until we crashed on a roundabout. This was as result of an argument my driver had had with an oncoming vehicle (with right of way), which started at 50 meters distance but obviously came to an end at 0. The tow truck won, and reluctantly I had to find another taxi. :dazed:
Probably wasn't the nicest of your memories , from The City of Lights , I'd agree ;
wouldn't you think it tough , though , to judge the whole taxi brigades of a 10 million+metropolis by just one such incident ?
( I have taken a few taxis from La Gare du Nord and found them spotlessly clean , nice-smelling and drivers friendly and ready to answer questions and offer advice ...if anything : alltogether much nicer experience , than taking a taxi from Bruxelles Gare du Midi...)
...I forgot to mention :
Baku , Azerbeijan - quite scary and
( although must have been grand once , long ago )
definitively : NOT a place I'd recommend you to spend 2 weeks in ;
Brits and other expat oil & gas engineers there get paid a fortune , as to remain enticed to serve out their contracts , in those , much less-than-pleasant circumstances ;
for those who like it ( I don't particularly ) Iranian caviar is very cheap , as is Turkish beer and the ( suspicious , high-risk ) homemade vodka , sold from corner-newsagent-kiosks which carry no newspapers , but plenty of tobacco , alcohol and assorted dodgy "goods" , all this under the minarets of plentiful mosques , deafeningly announcing 5-times' daily , prayers...
sometimes , one wonders...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7