Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atkins Diet
If anyone wants sensible help and advice about low carb dieting I suggest you visit:http://www.low-carbdiet.co.uk/

All three doctors and the practice nurse at my local surgery have no problems with Atkins as they see the health of their patients improving.
I am now on Atkins maintenance. My cholesterol and triglycerides are normal and I am no longer borderline type 2 diabetic. If I go back to eating low fat products I put on weight and feel shaky and ill as I am insulin resistant. Atkins has dramatically changed my life for the better. I am healthier than I have been in years.

Fat loss fads: the facts and fallacies

By Dr Geoff Taylor

AS A medical practitioner who has watched for 30 years the changing "fads" of medical dietary advice, the current media campaign highlighted in The West Australian against low-carbohydrate diets strikes me as the height of hypocrisy and intellectual bigotry.

In this modern age, we as practitioners try to practise evidence-based medicine. In other words, no treatment should be recommended unless it has been thoroughly trialled and shown to be of benefit. Conversely, no treatment should be rejected unless it has failed to be shown of benefit.

Here in Australia we are still recommending low-fat diets as the cure for all ills - obesity, heart disease and diabetes.

It may come as a surprise to many that all attempts to show that they prevent heart disease have failed to show any significant benefit. An extensive review of dietary trials in the European Heart Journal (1997) failed to show any benefit from diets low in saturated fat. Indeed, one big study showed a considerably higher mortality in the patients treated for five years with a low-fat diet, and the increased mortality continued for the following 10 years.

The only dietary advice that has been shown through proper trials (DART trial and Lyon study) to be worth while is that we should eat more foods containing particular polyunsaturated fatty acids - we should supplement our diet with fish and fish oils and eat nuts.

The benefits of obese people losing weight are immediately obvious to most of us. The reason the public is adopting low-carbohydrate diets is that they work, whereas countless low-fat diets that have been recommended for the past two decades have failed.

There is nothing new about the Atkins diet promoted since 1972, except it almost encourages participants to eat fat. The Scarsdale diet introduced in 1978 is perhaps much more sensible. It is not hard to create a low-carbohydrate diet that is also low in saturated fats.

Low-carbohydrate diets have been around since Victorian times when William Banting published a small pamphlet in 1863, after losing 21kg in a year. The diet had been suggested by the famous French physician Claude Bernard.

Many of us take issue with the Atkins diet because of its allowance of fat consumption. Yes, we would like to think that this would be harmful. Should we not sit up and take notice when the trials done on the Atkins diet show an improvement in cholesterol and lipid profiles rather than the opposite. Also, patients lost weight more effectively than on a low-fat diet. Are the British really more open-minded than we Aussies? The British Medical journal ran an editorial article last year entitled The Atkins Diet is Vindicated after the American trials were published.

One criticism levelled at low-carbohydrate diets is that they induce a state of dangerous ketosis, the ketosis being caused by the burning of fats. Funny really, that the whole human race is in a state of ketosis every morning when we rise from our slumbers, before we eat breakfast. Must be very dangerous. Surely the whole point of weight loss diets is to burn the fat we have accumulated. It can be argued that any diet that does not cause a state of ketosis is a total failure.

We currently face a worldwide epidemic of obesity and diabetes, a disease of carbohydrate metabolism. Traditionally diabetes was treated with low-carbohydrate diets, but 20 years ago physicians did a mental knight's move, arguing that, as diabetics frequently died of heart disease, we should recommend a low-fat diet.

Trials have failed to demonstrate any benefit for heart disease from this advice, yet the advice for diabetics remains unchanged. Indeed, the dietary advice of Diabetes Australia is that 50 per cent of a diabetic's diet should be carbohydrate. Is it any wonder that our diabetic patients continue to get fatter and their diabetic state deteriorates.

Modern physicians seem to have forgotten the work of Professor Kerin O'Dea, who in 1984 took 10 Aboriginal diabetics out into the desert to live on a traditional hunter-gatherer diet. There was a huge reduction in the carbohydrate in their diets. In just seven weeks, the average weight loss was 8kg, and their diabetes had improved to such a degree that in 50 per cent of them blood sugar levels had fallen to normal levels. What she demonstrated was that diabetes was potentially curable, yet this sentinel paper is largely forgotten.

Nowhere in the world is the answer to our problems more immediately obvious than here in Australia. The human race evolved as hunter-gatherers like the Aboriginals. It is only in the past few centuries, a mere blip in evolutionary time, that we have had access to foods such as refined flour and sugar.

Man has been surviving for many thousands of years on a low-carbohydrate diet. There can be little doubt that before white settlement there was no such thing as obesity in Australia.

The low-fat dietary advice of the past 20 years should be viewed as a social experiment that failed. We face an epidemic of obesity and diabetes, yet the so-called experts are rejecting the most useful dietary management out of hand without considering the facts. Are they throwing the baby out with the bath water?

Geoff Taylor is a Busselton doctor
not a bad second posting SS; interesting how report findings are lost! Now Ruh mentioned muscle loss but this article disputes that?
naive question....
what (besides the obvious) is the difference in refined carbs vs. natural grains in this diet? eg white bread vs whole wheat - we all know the more roughage the better; there was mention of nuts being good for you whereas if you ate that in the bread....
the refined bread / pasta is supposed to break down into sugar very quickly; does the "course" bread not also do much of the same thing, with your body then decomposing the rest of the ingredients later hence a similar sugar “high” but also a more sustained one as the rest take longer to break down??
Gents,

There are a lot of trial that dispute each other in regards to this diet. The vast majority of physicians, athletes and nutritionists still do not recommend the Atkins diet as a viable weight loss method. The other thing to remember is that there are huge commercial interests attached to many of these physicians who have their own publications and programs in the works and as such are not always objective.
Quote:Originally posted by webtalk2003
Have to agree with Spam.

Healthy lifestyle change is the way to go.

Don't know about the Atkins diet. Read just about the whole book a couple of years ago and didn't really like what I saw. One thing I did like, though, is that he recommended one have tests before and during the diet. This is something probably 99% of people in the UK don't do.

Lifestyle change = way to go. Difficult, but oh-so-true!
So Spam and Webtalk are safest with lifestyle change

Would it be down to "different folks different strokes" - what is good for one......
Quote:Originally posted by Ruhanv
Gents,

There are a lot of trial that dispute each other in regards to this diet. The vast majority of physicians, athletes and nutritionists still do not recommend the Atkins diet as a viable weight loss method. The other thing to remember is that there are huge commercial interests attached to many of these physicians who have their own publications and programs in the works and as such are not always objective.

Is it not normal for people to slag off a good idea that is not their own. Yes there are people who have had problems with the Atkins diet as there are even more who have had success and swear by it. It is in actual fact not a diet but a life style change which cuts out most of the processed foods that have become part and parcel of our daily lives. Any diet is in actual fact bad for you as they deprive you of some sources of nutrition, hoever if you look at the food intake of Atkins, the carbs you have cut out are subsidized by natural carbs in other food stuffs...but different stokes for different folks...personally I am always wary of any product or philosophy that gets marketed by slagging off something else on the market.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
Quote:Originally posted by spam
Is it not normal for people to slag off a good idea that is not their own. Yes there are people who have had problems with the Atkins diet as there are even more who have had success and swear by it. It is in actual fact not a diet but a life style change which cuts out most of the processed foods that have become part and parcel of our daily lives. Any diet is in actual fact bad for you as they deprive you of some sources of nutrition, hoever if you look at the food intake of Atkins, the carbs you have cut out are subsidized by natural carbs in other food stuffs...but different stokes for different folks...personally I am always wary of any product or philosophy that gets marketed by slagging off something else on the market.

Spam, I am in total agreement with you here mate. It is a lifestyle change that matters and getting rid fo all the processed food (including suger and excess carbs). Many doctors argue that dropping 10 lbs in a week as some Atkins followers have is actually dangerous and the majority of that weight is muscle and water.

In regards to slagging something else off, the Atkins diet can be seen in the same light as it rose to prominence by slagging off carbs. This was not actually a bad thing as most Westerners eat way too many calories that come from carbs. He was onto a good thing but instead of simply cutting it out, you can minimize it though a more protein based diet with a bit of carbs on the side. The latter being important in that your body will try to burn carbs first when you work out. If none are available, then it will resort to burning the protein which is you need to build muscle. As a result your muscles will not have any protein available to it when it recovers which leads to muscle loss.
Quote:Originally posted by silversurfer

Geoff Taylor is a Busselton doctor
Not too sure why mention is made about Geoff Taylor being a Busselton doctor... doctor of medicine or nutrition?

What the Experts Say
Both in the U.S. and abroad, the Atkins diet remains highly controversial.

"The Atkins diet is a viable option that requires more testing," Gary D. Foster, PhD, clinical director of the weight and eating disorders program at the University of Pennsylvania, tells WebMD. "The Atkins diet works at producing weight loss. If you are looking for weight loss, yes, it works. If you are looking for improvement in triglycerides and HDL cholesterol, yes, it works. "

But Foster, like other experts, remains concerned about the long-term safety of the diet.

Robert H. Eckel, MD, director of the general clinical research center at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in Denver agrees. He tells WebMD, "Our worries over the Atkins diet go way past the question of whether it is effective for losing weight or even for keeping weight off. We worry that the diet promotes heart disease. ... We have concerns over whether this is a healthy diet for preventing heart disease, stroke, and cancer. There is also potential loss of bone, and the potential for people with liver and kidney problems to have trouble with the high amounts of protein in these diets."

The American Dietetic Association also has concerns about the Atkins diet. Gail Frank, PhD, spokeswoman for the organization and professor of nutrition at California State University in Long Beach, says, "The body needs a minimum of carbohydrates for efficient and healthy functioning -- about 150 grams daily." Below that, normal metabolic activity is disrupted.

"The brain needs glucose to function efficiently, and it takes a long time to break down fat and protein to get to the brain," says Frank. Carbohydrates, especially in the form of vegetables, grains, and fruits, are more efficiently converted to glucose. And this more efficient use of glucose has developed over a long period of time, according to Frank. "Fruits and berries are much more indicative of early man's eating pattern than eating only protein, and we haven't changed all that much physiologically."

Volumetrics author Barbara Rolls, PhD, who holds the Guthrie Chair in Nutrition at Penn State University, offers this: "No one has shown, in any studies, that anything magical is going on with Atkins other than calorie restriction. The diet is very prescriptive, very restrictive, and limits half of the foods we normally eat," she says. "In the end it's not fat, it's not protein, it's not carbs, it's calories. You can lose weight on anything that helps you to eat less, but that doesn't mean it's good for you."

Food For Thought
The Atkins theories remain unproven, and most experts are concerned that a high-protein, high-fat diet can cause a host of problems, particularly for the large segment of the population that is at risk for heart disease. What's more, the plan doesn't permit a high intake of fruits and vegetables, recommended by most nutrition experts because of the numerous documented health benefits from these foods.

It is true that humans in the "past" were not as obese as they are now... but what did they eat? I am sure they did not eat loads of dairy products, fat meat, etc.
I am honestly concerned about the long term effects of this diet.
Ketosis is not a "normal" situation, yes ketones are the by-products of fat breakdown, but can easily result in a keto-acidosis.

Rolleyes
Quote:Originally posted by Joan

Rolleyes

Joan, one thing is for sure that up until the '70's people were eating far more natural substances and not this man-interfered with rubbish which is foisted upon us now.

I remain convinced that the "food" which we eat nowadays is responsible for many of our illnesses now. Man made food is not natural - low-fat, low carb, sweeteners, de-caffeinated. Surely it is poison? Margarine..... a man made by-product of petrol! Loads and loads of stuff being made with what they call vegetable oil. Does anyone know what this vegetable oil is? Well is is oil seed rape - in other words, poison.

People used to eat fresh meat, fresh vegatables, full cream milk, fresh fruit etc etc. Not any more. That is all supposed to be bad for us, but I am sorry, I don't believe the scientists.

Also, I think one of the worst things that any government did was to sell off the school playing fields so that children don't get mandatory exercise any more.

IMO Lets get back to basics. Fresh food and exercise, kill the central heating, remove the school runs in Mummy's BMW or whatever and slowly but surely we should all come right again.
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
Joan, one thing is for sure that up until the '70's people were eating far more natural substances and not this man-interfered with rubbish which is foisted upon us now.

I remain convinced that the "food" which we eat nowadays is responsible for many of our illnesses now. Man made food is not natural - low-fat, low carb, sweeteners, de-caffeinated. Surely it is poison? Margarine..... a man made by-product of petrol! Loads and loads of stuff being made with what they call vegetable oil. Does anyone know what this vegetable oil is? Well is is oil seed rape - in other words, poison.

People used to eat fresh meat, fresh vegatables, full cream milk, fresh fruit etc etc. Not any more. That is all supposed to be bad for us, but I am sorry, I don't believe the scientists.

Also, I think one of the worst things that any government did was to sell off the school playing fields so that children don't get mandatory exercise any more.

IMO Lets get back to basics. Fresh food and exercise, kill the central heating, remove the school runs in Mummy's BMW or whatever and slowly but surely we should all come right again.
Could not agree more
Apart from eating fresh and healthy food... mommy can also walk to the market to buy it and sell the Beemer and get some excercise herself.
Children used to partake in all sorts of sports after school, that seems to be un-pc nowdays as competition is not healthy... what do we see, loads of obese children texting on their mobiles or sitting in front of a computer, playing some or other computer game.
Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Tara

Just to play devils advocate.... but are people not living longer now? and has this not also been attributed to the change in diet?? (along with other things!!)

Also this is a very first for me - Margerine made from petroleum based products??? Sick

anyway whats wrong with mummy's BMW Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Metabolic Typing Diet Bushbaby 0 3,316 19-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby
  Atkins was Obese Toktokkie 27 13,564 12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Last Post: spam
  Atkins diet Joan 62 24,850 28-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Flangalistic
  Atkins Diet Ronnie 0 3,684 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: