Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atkins Diet
Quote:Originally posted by silversurfer
I agree with what you are saying but the problem is that we are told to eat low fat versions of everything. The carb content of the low fat version is much higher than the natural version. If one is insulin resistant then this cause a problem.
That is why low carbing suits me. No more processed or junk food. Back to eating the way I did in my childhood.

Precisely which brings me back to this:

http://www.globalbuzz-sa.com/forums/show...#post24953
I think low fat has its merits - if you are already in shape then it is a good way to stay there, and healthy to boot. I do think that the Atkins is a good way to diet and a safe way for most people - it also has the advantage of getting your weight down fast, which is necessary when you consider how discouraging dieting can be when you see no difference is weight or the waistline for weeks on end. If abused the Atkins way of eating will get you into trouble far quicker than most other diets - but I do believe that Dr. Atkins was rather hoping that people would be smart enough to follow his instructions, and not try to be smarter and stuff everything up as a result.
Quote:Originally posted by Bushbaby
I think low fat has its merits - if you are already in shape then it is a good way to stay there, and healthy to boot. I do think that the Atkins is a good way to diet and a safe way for most people - it also has the advantage of getting your weight down fast, which is necessary when you consider how discouraging dieting can be when you see no difference is weight or the waistline for weeks on end. If abused the Atkins way of eating will get you into trouble far quicker than most other diets - but I do believe that Dr. Atkins was rather hoping that people would be smart enough to follow his instructions, and not try to be smarter and stuff everything up as a result.
Bushbaby, I agree with low fat... not specifically bought as "low fat"...but common sense low fat, less cheese, red meat (remove all visible fat) etc. In the end it means that the calories consumed will decrease and that will mean weight loss.

The lady that works with me drank 2 litres of water daily... yet her breath....... stank.

Moderation, exercise, consuming less than your output= weight loss.
Quote:Originally posted by Joan
Bushbaby, I agree with low fat... not specifically bought as "low fat"...but common sense low fat, less cheese, red meat (remove all visible fat) etc. In the end it means that the calories consumed will decrease and that will mean weight loss.

The lady that works with me drank 2 litres of water daily... yet her breath....... stank.

Moderation, exercise, consuming less than your output= weight loss.

:thumbs: Agree 100% Joan.

As for the stinking breath, I find that lots and lots of people in the UK suffer from that deep down stinking breath. Almost like a dead body smell, rancid and foul. Sick I can't stand near people, young or old because they stink so much, let alone talk to them! Yeuch. I really think it could be due to the quantities of alcohol they drink over here, which is killing them off slowly. Also of course it could be simply that they are eating the wrong foods with all the manufactured "supposed to be good for you" low fat rubbish. Maybe it is a mixture of both alcohol and bad food.
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
[BAs for the stinking breath, I find that lots and lots of people in the UK suffer from that deep down stinking breath. Almost like a dead body smell, rancid and foul. Sick . [/B]
The do not have toofbrushes!!!!!

:haha: :haha:
I am in agreement with what is said here and it is also the first that i have read about Tara's theory on "new" food. a few observations after being out in the far east for so long. the chinese eat anything and everything and when they sit down to eat, they eat a lot of food. BUT they remain "small" much smaller than their european counterparts. when they sit down the food arrives in waves bowl after bowl, and on a table of 6-10 people they share the food. Usually there is little no starch and unlike the rice laden "western" chinese meals; they may have a single rice dish called sticky rice that has a lump of pork fat in the centre which is removed and not eaten. Rice is a staple but is not consumed in vast amounts and a large number of dishes have fish or sea food. a further observation is the new growth of MacDonalds, pitza places etc out there and at the same time they now acknowledge that they are starting to have a growning obesity problem.

BUT as devils advocate..... our changes in eating (along with medical advances) have been attributed to our increased longevity.

My theory is that it is all down to corporate greed, as the refined foods are cheaper to produce with higher profit margins. Ever notice how food has changed - take rice crispies - once upon a time they were just puffed rice - now they are what? they don't even snap crackle or pop anymore!! even castle beer went through two different production changes, many said they could not taste the difference - but compare it to a naturally brewed german beer.
then there is a big huha out here about what you can expect to find in a chicken nugget, and it is either very little or no chicken! i never have and never will like macdonalds and i would love to know what exactly they have in the meat - if it is ? Mass production and intensive farming practices and now GM foods. best reason for GM seeds the farmer has to keep buying seeds and that increases the bottom line.
so if you eat refined foodstuff it increases your dependance on large corporations, be they pharmaceutical / food manufacturers or GM.
I remember long long ago in South Africa they did a test on mice by feeding them rice krispies.

They gave some the krispies themselves and some the cardboard krispies box. Guess which batch of mice died?

:eek:

I have never touched rice krispies since, or given them to my children. Sick
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
I remember long long ago in South Africa they did a test on mice by feeding them rice krispies.

They gave some the krispies themselves and some the cardboard krispies box. Guess which batch of mice died?

:eek:

I have never touched rice krispies since, or given them to my children. Sick
probably true for most cereals... but then again the "active" ingredient in chocolate is poisonous to dogs.
Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool
probably true for most cereals... but then again the "active" ingredient in chocolate is poisonous to dogs.

True and I would imagine like you, I have always felt that testing on animals is a pointless not to mention cruel exercise. Sad
I tried Atkins and hated it, just could not put all those fatty things into my mouth, it just goes against the grain of what we are taught. Fair enough it works for some but I have a inherited family gene for heart disease and just couldnt put myself through it. Recently read the South Beach Diet which in all honesty is a healthier option to the Atkins. Also cuts out Carbs for the first two weeks. Decided to give it a go. By the Friday of the first week althoug having lost 1.5 I went to the shop and basically bought a load of junk that I would not have eaten on a normal day.
Have gone back to what my nutrisionist has taught me. Do not have processed foods - like white bread. Stick to the whole grains. For potato - have sweet tatties or new baby potatoes. There are loads of great things in your local health shop that are not processed that help alleviate the boredom of somthing like Atikins and the south beach.

Deep down we all know that a good eating plan - eggs and low fat bacon or an omelette for breakfast once or twice a week or alteratly good old fashioned oats as opposed to so called "muesli and breakfast cereals". A whole grain sandwich with lots of tomato and salads for lunch and some good protein - omega oily fish for dinner. WE know that the things that make us fat are the biscuits, the rusks, the choccies. If we just avoided those most of the time and exercised our weight would come down. BUT we are humam after all and all like to indulge and give in to the good advertising around us!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Metabolic Typing Diet Bushbaby 0 3,319 19-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby
  Atkins was Obese Toktokkie 27 13,592 12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Last Post: spam
  Atkins diet Joan 62 24,909 28-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Flangalistic
  Atkins Diet Ronnie 0 3,687 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: