Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atkins Diet
Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool

anyway whats wrong with mummy's BMW Big Grin

Mine is still going strong thanks whirlpool........ but so are my legs, so perhaps should "mommy's" legs and those of the precious young ones too!!!!

Couch pototoes forever stuffing their faces, now that cannot be good for one, can it??

Wink
Quote:Originally posted by Joan

It is true that humans in the "past" were not as obese as they are now... but what did they eat? I am sure they did not eat loads of dairy products, fat meat, etc.
IRolleyes [/B]

I find that most people who criticise Atkins do not in fact know anything much about the low carb approach.
There is plenty of research coming out of all the leading universities that backs the low carb approach.
When we remove carbs from our dinner plate we do not substitute with piles of meat and dairy products but double up on the vegetables. The extra fat that we need comes from foods such as nuts, avocado and olive oil.
Quote:Originally posted by silversurfer
I find that most people who criticise Atkins do not in fact know anything much about the low carb approach.
There is plenty of research coming out of all the leading universities that backs the low carb approach.
When we remove carbs from our dinner plate we do not substitute with piles of meat and dairy products but double up on the vegetables. The extra fat that we need comes from foods such as nuts, avocado and olive oil.

The Atkins diet must have changed a lot then, I know that those who go on this diet take in large amounts of bacon, cheese, etc and buy supplements as advocated by the diet in the book they bring into the pharmacy.
Another factor that may have assisted our great-grandparents was that they were physically very active...

And did they consume as much alcohol as people do today?

One of the ladies that work with me, was on the Atkins diet for a few weeks, her breath really smelt foul and for some or other reason all she thought about was what the next meal was going to be.
Diet should be what one eats. I think we are or should be discussing weight loss diets or has been mentioned, life style changes .....
Quote:Originally posted by Tara
one thing is for sure that up until the '70's people were eating far more natural substances and not this man-interfered with rubbish which is foisted upon us now.

I remain convinced that the "food" which we eat nowadays is responsible for many of our illnesses now. Man made food is not natural - low-fat, low carb, sweeteners, de-caffeinated. Surely it is poison? Margarine..... a man made by-product of petrol! Loads and loads of stuff being made with what they call vegetable oil. Does anyone know what this vegetable oil is? Well is is oil seed rape - in other words, poison.

People used to eat fresh meat, fresh vegatables, full cream milk, fresh fruit etc etc. Not any more. That is all supposed to be bad for us, but I am sorry, I don't believe the scientists.

I have been slim most of my life. However when I turned forty I decided that with heart disease in my family and the approach of middle age I had better swap to 'healthy' eating, follow the food pyramid with its emphasis on carbs, switch from butter to marg, full fat milk to skim milk. etc.
I faithfully followed this approach for 7 years. My weight went up, I became borderline type 2 diabetic, my cholesterol was high and my fingers were very swollen with arthritis.
With hindsight I can now see that all my health problems started when I switched to 'low fat healthy' products.

It was only when I saw a TV program on Syndrome X ( insulin resistance) that I realised what the problem was. I then did lots of research and with my doctors and consultants approval started Atkins 2 year ago. It took me about a year to loose 2 stone and since than have been on Atkins lifetime maintenance.
I have spoken to so many doctors about low carb and have yet to meet a single one who has any problems with it.
My husband recently spent 10 days in hospital seriously ill and it was interesting speaking to all the medical staff. Many of them were low carbing! (doctors, consultant and nurses)

If low carb is bad for us why do our health problems disappear when we switch to low carb? On the low carb site I belong to there are just so many stories of people who cannot loose weight on weight watchers etc. They loose weight on low carb and then also see an improvement in problems such as IBS, PCOS, allergies,arthritis etc
I am not saying that low carb suits everyone. If you feel well and healthy following the traditional standard advice then so be it. But we are not machines,we all have individual metabolisms and the 'one size fit all' approach does not work. Thirty years of the 'low fat fad' has led to an increase in heart disease and type 2 diabetes. If you speak to elderly people the advice was always to cut out the white foods(potatoes, bread rice and pasta). At the end of the day that is what low carbing is all about.
Yesterday on BBC breakfast they interviewed a dietician who said that 20% of the population and 50% of middle aged people were probably insulin resistance and that the best way to deal with this was cutting down on carbs.

We know our own bodies best. Following the traditional approach made me look and feel. ill. I am now healthier than I have been in years.
Quote:Originally posted by silversurfer

We know our own bodies best. Following the traditional approach made me look and feel. ill. I am now healthier than I have been in years.

there was this lady celebrating her 110th birthday and they were interviewing her on tv. so they ask whats her secret, and she replies "drinking! if i cant get my beer i have gin and tonic " :haha: :haha: :haha:
Quote:Originally posted by whirlpool
there was this lady celebrating her 110th birthday and they were interviewing her on tv. so they ask whats her secret, and she replies "drinking! if i cant get my beer i have gin and tonic " :haha: :haha: :haha:

I saw an elderly gentleman being interviewed last week. He was in his eighties and still played rugby every week.
He attributed his good health to the fact that he still had traditional bacon and eggs every day. None of the artificial low fat rubbish for him!
Could not agree more
Apart from eating fresh and healthy food... mommy can also walk to the market to buy it and sell the Beemer and get some excercise herself.
Children used to partake in all sorts of sports after school, that seems to be un-pc nowdays as competition is not healthy... what do we see, loads of obese children texting on their mobiles or sitting in front of a computer, playing some or other computer game.
Wink

I was watching Rick Stein on TV last night about B & B's in Northern Ireland and he went to a fantastic country cottagey type place and the food provided there was amazing. They call it the Ulster breakfast and it is a fry/grill up of absolutely everything you could think of. Bacon, sausages, kidneys, liver, eggs mushrooms, hash, and a special bread that he makes, laden with country pure butter, you name it, it's on the plate! Then for dinner they served up Irish stew and stuff like rhubarb and custard for pud. The two people who run the place Hub and Wife eat their own cooking too and they are skinny, skinny, skinny! :haha:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joan
[B]

"The Atkins diet is a viable option that requires more testing," Gary D. Foster, PhD, clinical director of the weight and eating disorders program at the University of Pennsylvania, tells WebMD. "The Atkins diet works at producing weight loss. If you are looking for weight loss, yes, it works. If you are looking for improvement in triglycerides and HDL cholesterol, yes, it works. "

But Foster, like other experts, remains concerned about the long-term safety of the diet. [quote]

And therin lies the truth. Atkins advocates a strict two week regime which does cut out things like carbs and fats...BUT only for two weeks. It is designed to kick start the metabolism. These are reintroduced in moderate quantities as time progresses but in actual fact it is not a diet but the gradual introduction of a new eating lifestyle. We eat far too many processed foods, unwanted fats and that is what has to go. Reading the post about the octagenarian still getting his exercise, the couple running their own business.....they all get exercise and that is what attributes to maintaining correct cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

I personally do not advocate any diet as I believe they are nothing but short term solutions. Many cause yo-yoing in your sugar levels making them terrible to follow. Bottom line is to reduce fat intake, up vegetable and fruit, get plenty of exercise, and reduce calorie intake to match your energy output. A 20 minute walk 3 times a week will do wonders and that is all it takes. Something simple like taking the stairs instead of a lift, many changes in the way we do things can make a difference.
SPAM in a can....Now available in regular, turkey, Lite and HOT
I know that those who go on this diet take in large amounts of bacon, cheese, etc
One of the ladies that work with me, was on the Atkins diet for a few weeks, her breath really smelt foul ..

If her breath smelt then she was obviously not drinking the recommend minimum of 2 litres of water a day.
Nothing wrong with bacon and eggs for breakfast. All the papers yesterday were full of stories about how unhealthy most breakfast cereal are and how they are contributing to obesity.
The Atkins book very clearly limits the amount of cheese consumed each day.
None of the low carb plans state that one can eat unlimited amounts of meat. One is told to eat a satisfying amount.
The press likes to depict low carb dieters as gorging on meat but that does not suddenly make it true.
Quote:Originally posted by spam

I personally do not advocate any diet as I believe they are nothing but short term solutions. Many cause yo-yoing in your sugar levels making them terrible to follow. Bottom line is to reduce fat intake, up vegetable and fruit, get plenty of exercise, and reduce calorie intake to match your energy output. A 20 minute walk 3 times a week will do wonders and that is all it takes. Something simple like taking the stairs instead of a lift, many changes in the way we do things can make a difference. [/B]

I agree with what you are saying but the problem is that we are told to eat low fat versions of everything. The carb content of the low fat version is much higher than the natural version. If one is insulin resistant then this cause a problem.
That is why low carbing suits me. No more processed or junk food. Back to eating the way I did in my childhood.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Metabolic Typing Diet Bushbaby 0 3,328 19-03-2004, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Bushbaby
  Atkins was Obese Toktokkie 27 13,637 12-02-2004, 11:48 PM
Last Post: spam
  Atkins diet Joan 62 25,018 28-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Last Post: Flangalistic
  Atkins Diet Ronnie 0 3,695 Less than 1 minute ago
Last Post: