Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Judging a book by it's cover ?
What makes you choose a certain book if the author is unknow to you ?
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-
I'll read the blurb to see what the book is about. Usually if it is only filled with comments by other people saying how wonderful the book is, I would be more wary of it.
I suppose in a way, I am influenced by the illustrations on the cover; Memoirs of a Geisha, for example, has the picture of an Oriental woman on a dreamy blueish type of background. I probably would not have read it if I hadn't heard of it many times beforehand.

Smile
I sometimes go to the library & browse but then I usually find myself looking at books of authors that I know. A friend of mine does a lot of reading & often tells me "I should read this or that".

So instead of judging a book by its cover, I tend to go for books that are recommended.
Unfortunately haven't been reading books as often as I used to.
I will have a look if the cover appeals to me, but when I have loads of time to spare, I will look at anything. If the synopsis is good, I will get it - irrespective of what the cover looks like!
Learn as if you were going to live forever. Live as if you were going to die tomorrow.
--Mahatma Gandhi
I am pretty much the same - occasionally I will find a cover which looks appealing, it draws my eye - I will then read the blurb to see if it does appeal. So in some ways sometimes it is the cover which makes me end up getting a book. But there are also many times where the cover does not come into play, cause I know the author and want to read the book or I heard it was good. A good cover is always the best way to sell your book first I think !
[Image: bookswap_sig.gif]

The more that you read,
the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

"Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr Seuss-

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mary Higgins Clark - a new book nikkinaz 1 3,492 21-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Jangar
  Got a book, want to swap .... nikkinaz 4 4,124 18-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Pronkertjie
  So what book are you looking forward to reading next ? nikkinaz 5 4,677 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
Last Post: nikkinaz
  Richard and Judy's new book list for 2005! nikkinaz 8 5,026 10-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Pampered
  Another Pelzer book.... nikkinaz 1 3,549 10-02-2005, 07:21 PM
  Which book ? .... nikkinaz 17 8,111 03-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Avo
  Cannot find a book....... nikkinaz 0 3,340 16-08-2004, 07:05 PM
  Book Discussion - The No.1 Ladies' Detective Agence dudette 11 7,263 01-07-2004, 05:50 AM
  Another book for June ? nikkinaz 16 8,596 17-06-2004, 05:24 PM
  Book Genres dudette 3 4,011 01-06-2004, 09:44 PM