South Africa Info Forums

Full Version: You are what you eat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

tokoloshie

and a few more...Wink

Nutrition: fuelling the fire
Never run on an empty stomach Many novice runners skip breakfast and eat a salad for lunch in an attempt to lose weight. This is a mistake – your body needs fuel to run. If you don’t take in steady calories during the day (known as ‘grazing’), you’ll be sluggish and your legs won’t want to move – and you’ll hate running. Also, make sure you eat 200-300 calories about an hour before your run, so you’ll have fuel in the tank.
But donÂ’t pig out Some new runners take the opposite approach by eating too much before their work-outs; this is particularly true with sugar. If you feel as if youÂ’re running with a brick in your stomach, and you often end up doubled over with a stitch, rethink your fuelling scheme. A banana or a bagel is a great snack before a training session; a doughnut is not.
Avoid pit stops Many beginners (and even some experienced runners) worry that drinking fluids before a race or work-out will translate into annoying pit stops. Not necessarily. Drink steadily beforehand and your body will balance itself out. If you tank up on fluids an hour and a half before you train, youÂ’ll have time to get rid of the excess before you start running.
Drink and fuel up on the run Keeping adequately hydrated is critical to your running (not to mention your health). This means drinking the equivalent of eight large glasses of water every day, and probably twice that in warm weather. It also means taking in about half a pint of fluid every 15-20 minutes of running. For runs of an hour or more, you also need to replenish spent energy stores with carbohydrates. Your optimal intake should be 50-100 calories of carbohydrate per 30 minutes of running.
Eat a balanced diet DonÂ’t be fooled by all the fad diets out there; the healthiest way to eat is also the best fuelling plan for your running. Most of the food you eat should be whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Strive for 6-11 servings of grains (one serving equals a slice of bread, 25g of cereal or a cup of pasta), five to nine servings of fruits and vegetables, and two to three servings of meat and dairy products a day. Keep sugary, fatty foods to a minimum.

tokoloshie

and finally some reasons to run....:thumbs:

Running does wonders for your body. It boosts ‘good’ HDL cholesterol, conditions your heart and lowers your risk of certain types of cancer. But maybe you’ve heard all that. Here are some rather more surprising benefits:
YouÂ’ll stay warm in the winter. A Naval Medical Centre study of fit women found that they conserve heat better than overweight, unfit women.
YouÂ’ll get smarter. Your daily run may be all you need to beat your peers at Scrabble, chess or any other game that requires brainpower, according to a recent study from the Journal of Ageing & Physical Activity. In the study, men who were more physically fit performed better mentally than their less-fit peers.
YouÂ’ll prevent age-related disabilities. Researchers from Stanford University found that people who exercised, and who maintained a healthy weight and didnÂ’t smoke, were half as likely to become disabled by age 75 as those who didnÂ’t practise these habits.
YouÂ’ll improve your hearing. ThatÂ’s right, regular runs can even help your ears to survive a loud rock concert. Researchers from the University of Northern Iowa found that physically fit people recover their normal hearing faster after being exposed to loud noise than less physically fit people.
YouÂ’ll live longer. Finnish research shows that walking or jogging for 30 minutes or more six times a month can reduce your risk of premature death by more than 40 per cent.

Dolla

Thank you Toks :thumbs:

I think I am actually doing okay. I can run 10km without stopping once and am not really tired afterwards. I am sure that I can run for longer if needs be.
I am running it in under an hour, I am trying to improve on that and have done so with 2 minutes. I think the most important thing now is not to try and improve my speed but just build my stamina. Or am I wrong? (From what I can remember, this is also mentioned in the article you sent me)
Now, I have a question for you. My race is on a the Sunday, should I exercise the day before and what type of food do I need to eat on the day of m run to be ready for the race?

tokoloshie

Dolla...its wise not to exercise at least 4 days before the marathon, you are not going to get fitter or improve your time that close to race day..so have a rest. If you feel anxious take a walk but no running, and walk for no longer than 30 min's.

As for meals before a race read throught this...:thumbs:

DonÂ’t forget your pre-race meal
You’re well-versed in the idea of carbo-loading, but there are still a few tricks of the trade that can help you to race at your best. Firstly, don’t overeat late the night before as this will make sleep harder to come by. Secondly, don’t think of that final plate of pasta on the eve of the race as your last meal. Your body will use up some of that food energy overnight, so make sure you have breakfast. European 5000 and 10,000m champion Sonia O’Sullivan chooses bread or cereal, coffee, perhaps a banana and lots of water, but the carbohydrate combination you opt for is up to you. Just cut right down on fat and protein, which take a long time to digest. Coffee is fine if it’s part of your normal routine – just be sure to drink plenty of water along with it.

Dolla

Quote:Originally posted by tokoloshie
Dolla...its wise not to exercise at least 4 days before the marathon, you are not going to get fitter or improve your time that close to race day..so have a rest. If you feel anxious take a walk but no running, and walk for no longer than 30 min's.

As for meals before a race read throught this...:thumbs:

DonÂ’t forget your pre-race meal
You’re well-versed in the idea of carbo-loading, but there are still a few tricks of the trade that can help you to race at your best. Firstly, don’t overeat late the night before as this will make sleep harder to come by. Secondly, don’t think of that final plate of pasta on the eve of the race as your last meal. Your body will use up some of that food energy overnight, so make sure you have breakfast. European 5000 and 10,000m champion Sonia O’Sullivan chooses bread or cereal, coffee, perhaps a banana and lots of water, but the carbohydrate combination you opt for is up to you. Just cut right down on fat and protein, which take a long time to digest. Coffee is fine if it’s part of your normal routine – just be sure to drink plenty of water along with it.

Great, thanks. So I can have my oats for brekkie, but what do you suggest for lunch? The race is at 19:30

tokoloshie

Quote:Originally posted by Dolla
Great, thanks. So I can have my oats for brekkie, but what do you suggest for lunch? The race is at 19:30

some pasta...with a sauce of sorts...and a carbo drink.
Also snack on Carbo bars...will try get the name of the one's I used to snack. If possible take one or two with you on the run.
It's also important that during your training you try out all the drinks and bars you are going to use during the race, you don't want to get an upset stomach during the race.Always test all the supplements in advance. ALSO NEVER EVER DRINK OR EAT ANYTHING YOU HAVE NOT TESTED IN YOUR BUILD UP TO RACE DAY..Big Grin ..I learnt the hard way..:haha:

Dolla

Quote:Originally posted by tokoloshie
some pasta...with a sauce of sorts...and a carbo drink.
Also snack on Carbo bars...will try get the name of the one's I used to snack. If possible take one or two with you on the run.
It's also important that during your training you try out all the drinks and bars you are going to use during the race, you don't want to get an upset stomach during the race.Always test all the supplements in advance. ALSO NEVER EVER DRINK OR EAT ANYTHING YOU HAVE NOT TESTED IN YOUR BUILD UP TO RACE DAY..Big Grin ..I learnt the hard way..:haha:

Okey doke. On that note. Do you think just drinking water is fine, or do I HAVE to drink anything else?
I will have to do something, as you probably know I am not a big carb fan, not even when I am training...

tokoloshie

Quote:Originally posted by Dolla
Okey doke. On that note. Do you think just drinking water is fine, or do I HAVE to drink anything else?
I will have to do something, as you probably know I am not a big carb fan, not even when I am training...

in SA most of the watering tables have coke..so I used to mix 1 coke with water...but not sure here have not run in anything major in the UK..they may have powerade or lucozade which you should at least drink every now and again to top up the carb's you burning up.
hi guys

im at my folks place
having a great time but time is going by soooo fast

bad news is i have been awful re food and excercise ! i have picked up weight and gotten all flabby ! LOL

hope u are all well and i shall speak to u very soon !
x
jewels Wrote:hi guys

im at my folks place
having a great time but time is going by soooo fast

bad news is i have been awful re food and excercise ! i have picked up weight and gotten all flabby ! LOL

hope u are all well and i shall speak to u very soon !
x

Hi Jewels. Not used to seeing you on the boards at this time. Tis the season to be jolly so don't worry about the food and excercise. Have yourself a merry ol' xmas & enjoy the festive season and enjoy your time at your folks place.